Stacy Keibler Fam Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stacy Keibler Fam Forum

A forum for Stacy Keibler fam (fans) & supporters

4 posters

The Music Room

Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Music Room - Page 3 Empty Re: The Music Room

Post by Admin Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Glad to see you Moon, hope things are well

Hi, well things aren't too bad. Got a lung infection at the moment though & have to have a chest X-Ray in the next few days. Been prescribed anti-biotics so hopefully it'll clear it up. I've had quite a few infections this year actually of my kidney etc. and my Doctor said it's because my immune system is weak and I'm more prone to infections, colds/flu etc. But apart from that, I'm OK I guess, got to keep fighting on! Smile
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Well glad your doing well given what seems like a lot of health issues. Keep fighting

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 pm

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:07 am

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Totally missed Moon in my hasted post. Its great to see you on again. Glad to hear you are fighting the good fight.

This is fitting tonight some what.

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 pm

cover

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:48 am

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:25 am

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Bunch of songs featuring Alissa Whihe-Gluz of Arch Enemy

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm

heard this classic Staind song on Pandora today while working. The whole reason i liked Staind back in the day really.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 am

that is about the best Staind song

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 pm

in honor of the new cd today. I'm digging it. Been listening to their stuff since I heard Surfacing off the self titled cd. Still decent over the years which is something for a band with that many cds now a days.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:48 pm

so worth the money for the deluxe version I take it

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Yes so far it has had me put away the new Nonpoint cd since I got it. This is one of the better songs imo on the cd, sadly no music video.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 am

no video, at least yet but here is cover of a fairly well known song

Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:44 pm

astroth wrote:Well glad your doing well given what seems like a lot of health issues.  Keep fighting

Thanks Smile

Totally missed Moon in my hasted post. Its great to see you on again. Glad to hear you are fighting the good fight.

Thanks Barry, will try and get on the forum when I can & on twitter too.

A concert video from Morris Day & The Time!

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Glad you do what you can though it does seem to be a strain for you. As I said keep fighting

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Great post Moon I'm a fan of The Time/ Original 7, as well as Prince from that era of music. I am liking the updated look a lot on the forum as well. Looks sharp.

Still about the only Kid Rock song I like.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:24 pm

I had to adjust my time zone so it matched my current time, as before that your post was about 20 minutes into the future for me

B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 pm

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:33 am

Great post Moon I'm a fan of The Time/ Original 7, as well as Prince from that era of music. I am liking the updated look a lot on the forum as well. Looks sharp.

Thanks. A lot of the Time's early music was written/co-written by Prince and the Revolution played most of the music on their first 3 albums too, Prince produced it too under the name 'Jamie Starr' & 'The Starr Company'. Although the Time's musicians could really play their instruments and did so live on stage, like Monte Moir on keys, Jesse Johnson's a great guitar player, Jellybean a good drummer etc. So those earlier albums could have been a lot funkier if Prince let them play on the album.

If you've got the Time's first album, you can even hear Prince's vocals on the songs which were guide vocals for Morris to follow. I think Pandemonium is the first album where it's actually the Time playing all the instruments and stuff, but Prince does write/co-write some of the songs on that too.

There's a full Prince concert on Youtube too here Some of the Time's 'Corporate World' tracks are worth checking out, I think it was originally planned to be a Morris solo album. Some songs were re-made for 'Pandemonium' when the original Time re-united.

Also found this article which talks a bit more about Prince's involvement with The Time

Prince’s first side project to reach the public was The Time. The group’s self-titled debut album lists Morris Day (lead vocals), Jesse Johnson (guitar), Monte Moir and Jimmy Jam Harris (keyboard), Terry Lewis (bass), and Jellybean Johnson (drums) as the band members. The production credit is shared by Morris Day and Jamie Starr, who had been introduced as an engineer on Dirty Mind. Neither record nor sleeve contain any songwriting credits. Still, the music bore all the hallmarks of Prince’s synth-laden “Minneapolis sound” and it didn’t take long before stories began circulating in the press that Prince was behind the project: writing the tunes, playing most instruments, and producing the album, only drafting Day to sing over his own vocals.
    Prince’s involvement in The Time album was strongly denied by the band and Day, who claimed credit for creating the group and
    shaping its slick look and “cool” attitude. He was only willing to admit that Prince had offered guidance on the album. Jamie Starr, Day explained, was really an engineer who lived and worked in Minneapolis, while Steve Fargnoli did his best to support the story by pointing out in interviews
    that Jamie was hard to get hold of because he was a “reclusive maniac.” The truth was, of course, that Jamie Starr was Prince in disguise and The Time was very much Prince’s musical creation. The pseudonym enabled him to distance himself from the project so it would stand or fall on its own, allowing the group to establish its own identity.
    Despite the fact that The Time had become a strong live working unit, the band’s second album, What Time Is It?, was in all essentials conceived and recorded by Prince. The Starr Company is listed as the producer of the album. Prince isn’t credited on the album but he wrote all the six tracks, barring “Wild And Loose,” which was a collaboration with Dez Dickerson (who wrote the lyrics). By this time, The Time members wanted to contribute more to the music and they were becoming increasingly frustrated by Prince’s firm control over the group. Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, and Monte Moir had started writing songs of their own and were beginning to contemplate independent careers. Following the Controversy tour, Jam and Lewis had gone to Los Angeles to collaborate on their own material, which they felt didn’t quite fit the image or sound of The Time, as they considered the band to be more of a vehicle for Morris Day. Prince was opposed to their outside production work, which he felt detracted from their commitment to The Time. Sessions for What Time Is It? began in Prince’s home studio and at Sunset Sound, Los Angeles, in January 1982, after the first leg of the Controversy tour (“Gigolos Get Lonely Too,” “The Walk,” “Wild And Loose”). The remaining tracks were taped in the home studio in May and June 1982 (“777-9311,” “Onedayi’mgonnabesomebody,” “I Don’t Wanna Leave You”).
    Prince’s next project was an album with The Time, Corporate World. He worked on the album throughout the summer, finishing it in early September 1989. The track listing was: “Murph Drag” / “Nine Lives” / “Donald Trump (Black Version)”/ “Love Machine” / “Data Bank” / “Shake!” / “Corporate World” / “The Latest Fashion” / “Release It” / “My Summertime Thang.” Several of the songs existed prior to the sessions.

“Data Bank” was loosely based on a jam that was taped with The Revolution in 1986. Four of the tracks were updated vault items: “Murph Drag” was recorded in late 1988 or early 1989, “My Summertime Thang” was a leftover from Ice Cream Castle sessions in 1983, “The Latest Fashion” was tracked in April 1987 and was originally intended for Dale Bozzio, and “Nine Lives” was fi rst recorded for use by Cat in early 1989.

Corporate World was set for release on November 14th 1989, with “Nine Lives” planned as the first single, but it was halted when Warner Bros. wanted to involve the original Time members. After a meeting with Prince, it was decided that Jesse Johnson, Monte Moir, Terry Lewis, and Jimmy Jam would participate and take an active part by writing and recording new tracks for a revised album, which became Pandemonium. Thus, another batch of songs was recorded later in 1989 and in 1990, this time without Prince’s involvement. The Time members decided to keep “Data Bank,” “My Summertime Thang,” and “Donald Trump (Black Version)” from Corporate World. In addition, they chose two vault items, “Chocolate” from 1983 and “Jerk Out,” which had been considered for both What Time Is It? and Mazarati. Four of the seven discarded Corporate World tracks survived to Graffiti Bridge: “The Latest Fashion,” “Release It,” “Love Machine,” and “Shake!” The remaining Corporate World tracks are still unreleased: “Murph Drag,” “Corporate World,” and “Nine Lives.”
    B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:04 am

I did notice that in the first Time cd, and you can definetly tell that Prince heavily influenced their music. I did find it odd that Prince cast his talents on the cd under a diff name though. But other then that not sure. I think I have all of the Times cds in my collection at this point.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 pm

One needs to remember that in these cases where somebody else writes stuff for another group they will use a different name, as some only use the name we know them by as a stage name but could use their real name for song writing credits.  I also know that very few singers/bands actually own their own catalog of music.  Prime example of the effects of owning rights to music can have, look into the Paul McCartney/Micheal Jackson relationship before and then after Jackson acquired most if not all the Beetles catalog.

Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:28 pm

I did notice that in the first Time cd, and you can definetly tell that Prince heavily influenced their music. I did find it odd that Prince cast his talents on the cd under a diff name though. But other then that not sure. I think I have all of the Times cds in my collection at this point.

Yep, I think there's 4 Time albums and 1 by O7. Morris has a few solo albums too. The Time's early albums are essentially Prince, Morris on vocals and members of the Revolution playing instruments and they co-wrote some of the songs too, like Dez co-wrote 'After Hi School' and I think it was either Wendy or Lisa who co-wrote 'The Stick'. I think later on Prince let Jesse play guitar etc. and you can hear the Time more on 'Pandemonium'.

Prince wrote quite a few songs for other artists under different names too, like Jamie Starr and The Starr Company, Joey Coco, Paisley Park (which was also the name of his recording studio complex & record label), Christopher & Alexander Nevermind. I think he did that to put out more songs as Warner's didn't want him to flood the market with too much music. Good example is he wanted to release a 3LP set called 'Crystal Ball' which eventually turned into the 'Sign O The Times' album.

One needs to remember that in these cases where somebody else writes stuff for another group they will use a different name, as some only use the name we know them by as a stage name but could use their real name for song writing credits. I also know that very few singers/bands actually own their own catalog of music. Prime example of the effects of owning rights to music can have, look into the Paul McCartney/Micheal Jackson relationship before and then after Jackson acquired most if not all the Beetles catalog.

Yep, sometimes they do so if their label won't let them directly write/work with another artist on another label and if you look in album credits it says like '.... appears courtesy of Warner Brothers Records' if they have their labels permission. You're right about song publishing too, I think some bands/singers are a bit more savvy then they used to be. The Beatles sold their publishing rights or the company who they signed them away too & then MJ managed to buy them in the 80's, causing Sir Paul to fall out with him about it. Although Paul & Yoko had the opportunity to buy them for something like $20m beforehand but didn't want to buy at the time, which would be a tremendous investment in hindsight, considering the Beatles and the Sony-ATV publishing catalog must be worth billions now since it not only includes The Beatles but MJ and other artists songs too. It also includes EMI Music Publishing and includes around 2 million+ songs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 pm