Stacy Keibler Fam Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Stacy Keibler Fam Forum

A forum for Stacy Keibler fam (fans) & supporters

4 posters

NBA Discussion

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

NBA Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: NBA Discussion

Post by astroth Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 pm

The issue is money in both cases but for different reasons. Yes as you said there are other things as well.

The issue in most of the professional sports is a image issue both good and bad. The NBA actually did a good job of fixing its image issues from a few years back but like the NFL a lot of the high profile players for whatever reason are running into issues with the law, which reflects badly on the teams and thereby the NBA.

Sports in general are loosing viewers and thereby money, NASCAR which at one point was the fast growing from of sports has stalled. I think the issue is overload plus the explosion of the internet, cable and satellite tv services and of course the dvr (commonly called tivo's) which all have hurt sports and tv in general but like the music industry I think if they would stop trying to force feed us programs etc and let folks pick what they like more I think they would see better return on their investment and that holds true to for pro sports as well. I know that the NFL, NBA and MLB all have their own channels plus you have espn etc that reply the living crap out stuff to the point nobody cares not to mention every news channel has a sports segment that shows highlights etc to death the viewer and thereby fan becomes overloaded and stops caring
    B
    B
    Superfan!
    Superfan!
    SK Superfan!

Post by B Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Wow I didn't know the NBA lost that much money last year. It's hard for anything to keep going when they loose that much money. I agree even without James there are others in the NBA that are marketable. Prob my favorite out of them all is Howard he is a good player and has a funny personality. Hopefully they can pull it together as we don't need a repeat of what happened to the NHL which is so far out of the mainstream now it isn't funny.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:13 am

Lockouts, work stoppages or whatever they care to call them in the long hurt the product and the fans.
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

That's true, lockouts not only effect the players & teams/owners but I think the most important people it effects the most, is actually the fans.

From what I've read, 17 of the NBA's teams weren't profitable last season, which is quite a surprising statistic. I would assume that would have included teams who have lost their star players. For example, the Cavs would have lost revenue with LeBron going to Cleveland, and there's also other teams like the Suns, Nuggets, Raptors & Jazz who lost their top player(s) too to other teams.

Maybe the NBA should put in place a system where each team has a Superstar player to draw in the fans, as otherwise teams will continue to lose money. If Chris Paul leaves the Hornets or if the Magic lose Dwight Howard to another team, they'd be in a similar situation to where the Cavs are now, where they have to re-build not only their team, but their whole franchise. So IMO, the NBA need to put something in place where it not necessarily makes all teams equal, but gives each team a star player they can build around or at least a way to keep them all profitable, otherwise it'll be a similar situation to use an example to the Premier League in English soccer where out of 20 teams there's only really 3 or 4 contenders competing for the league trophy.

Another option could be downsizing the league and/or moving unprofitable franchises to more affluent areas, or areas where there's a demand for a Basketball team. For example, I think a new team for Seattle to follow on from the Supersonics would probably be a success.

astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:34 pm

To a degree your right but I also think it has to do with too much over lapping between the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB as their seasons overlap each other for s while so they all are fighting for the limited time and money of fans.

Also think there is some overload issues with them as well. The problem is the teams pay insane amounts of money for guys that are either stars or they think will be and a good number fail. Instead of 600 million or whatever over a team, a 2 million and with options for bonuses based on performance, scoring and playing as member of the team vs ball hog
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:02 pm

The lock out looks like it's continuing because the new CBA hasn't been agreed upon yet. The pre-season has been canceled and the first two weeks of the regular season will be too apparently. There's more about this in the following articles here, here & here
    Ryan
    Ryan

Post by Ryan Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:51 pm

I don't think there will be an NBA season at all sadly. The owners and players are both too greedy, and I believe they aren't even close to agreeing. The worst part is the players don't even sound concerned about missing a season, which is bizarre. I suppose since most of them are rich already they figure if nothing gets worked out their way they can just take an extended vacation to do whatever they want.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Actually some are headed overseas to play from what I read. I also read a story that players are going to get screwed no matter what, at which point a new agreement is reached but now can't seem to find it.
    Ryan
    Ryan

Post by Ryan Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Yeah, i heard about that also, main one being Kobe Bryant. And most of the players are prepared to give up games. Yeah, they actually are getting screwed, because no matter what they are giving up a lot of money to the owners.
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:25 am

You could be right Ryan about their being no regular season. They might go for a 50 game season they like did in the 1998–99 season if they manage to agree on a new collective bargaining agreement. Apparently the NBA & the team owners offered a 50/50 revenue split which sounds fair. The players did want 57% but have said 53% now, so there's not much difference. But they pointed out that the extra 3% equates to $1Bn over 6 years for the team owners, but I guess they (NBA team owners) want equal revenue sharing, hence why they aren't agreeing. I've read the salary cap hasn't been decided yet either, so there will no doubt be an issue there too, with some teams having to offer their players less salaries to fit within the new salary cap. Maybe the NBA should learn from the NFL lockout, which only lasted a few months and where the Pro Football Hall of Fame game was canceled. However the NFL is a massive success and is profitable, which you can find out here but the NBA lost around $370m and there's an article about it here & here which says 17 of the 30 teams lost money last season. So I guess because the NBA is losing money and the owners don't want to lose anymore and curb their losses, they want to offer the players a deal which helps make them profitable. Therefore in my opinion instead of players going overseas to play, they should maybe consider the 50/50 revenue idea and once the NBA is profitable again it would give them more leverage for a future CBA.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Actually the rumor on the split was not 50/50 but 48/51
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:05 pm

In the article on the NBA site it says the owners wanted a 50/50 split, but the players were against it. They still haven't agreed on a new collective bargaining agreement yet and the season was supposed to start Nov 1 but the first two weeks have already been canceled and if they still can't agree they'll most likely have to cancel more games. I think there could be a 50 game regular season like there was in 98/99 but only if they agree on a new CBA first.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:31 pm

At the moment the biggest issue from a rumor I read is the BRI (basketball related income) and the same rumor said they are within a point or so of the 505/50 split.

Found this story
    Code:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-David-Stern-Bryant-Gumbel-players-derek-fisher-dwyane-wade-kevin-garnett-can%2527t-hang-with-commissioner-in-boardroom-101811
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:26 pm

Ryan
    Ryan

Post by Ryan Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:05 pm

This is quite bizarre, all of a sudden it sounds like there's huge optimism that they might even be able to play a whole season now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/26/2011-10-26_progress_made_at_nba_lockout_talks_optimism_a_new_deal_could_be_reached_within_o.html
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Not that I really care but hopefully they end this lockout and get back to playing though its going to take a lot to re-earn the trust of the fans
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:24 pm

So it seems November games are dead now. Instead of this bull of piecemeal canceling games just cancel the whole freaking season, as then you might actually get the players attention mainly ones without endorsement deals that only a few actually have
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Looks like things aren't going to well to end the nba lockout based on this story

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbalabor
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:00 pm

So the Warriors won game 1 of the 2018 NBA finals. Had JR Smith called a timeout that could have been a pivotal moment in the game and the Cavs might have won game 1. LeBron had a great game though scoring over 50 points.
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Just read a few posts above about the NBA making a $300m+ loss back in 2011 and 17 of the 30 teams losing revenue too. I'm assuming that has changed now with a resurgence in popularity for the NBA, especially during the Playoffs and NBA Finals.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 am

Well given the finals is the 4th time these two teams have met in the finals one could view the league playing favorites or whatever. In regards to pay and everybody making or losing money no clue anymore
    Admin
    Admin
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Admin Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 am

That could be so about favouritism. However I think had Chris Paul been fit for the Rockets for the final 2 games then Houston could have made it to the finals.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Ah the old what if happened then this could have happened concept. By the same token we could still ended up with cavs and warriors in the finals or warriors and rockets and so on.
    astroth
    astroth
    Administrator
    Administrator
    SK Superfan!

Post by astroth Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:57 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content